Thursday, May 20, 2010

In Honor of Jenn

If you are here reading this then you must already be aware of my obsession with my cousin Jenn. Let me say here and now, Ben is my Best Friend and I love him more than anyone on this earth...although...it is hard to imagine a life without Jenn. I mean, I can't give him the other half of my heart shaped "Best Friends" necklace. He totally wouldn't wear it. I know I'm killing you if you aren't interested in my "Jenn Tribute" on her birthday then begin bloghopping now.

Jenn was born 32 years ago today to goodly parents who I am glad to have in my life. I hear she was all chub and you just wanted to squeeze her. (I still give her a good squeeze now and again so I can just imagine.) When I was born a few months later our story begins...but she was torn away from me at 9 months and we had a long distance relationship.

Here's how I picture Jenn's pre-Ashley life: She was a smart, cute kid. She filled the emptiness she felt by losing me with two imaginary friends named Marty and Smarty. (You could tell even then how much she needed me.) She danced well, played the piano well, did everything well from what I heard growing up. Any news I got of her from Maw Maw or my parents was always, "Jenn is so good at this! Jenn did awesome at that! Jenn got straight A's. Did you hear what Jenn's ACT scores were?" You might think that this would cause some unhealthy competition or even resentment but it didn't. I knew it was all true. I thought she was so cool. Everytime she came to visit Louisiana I was so surprised at how fun and happy and confident she was. In between visits she would write me letters about going to Movies 8 and getting a ride home with random boys (SHOCKER to me who would not dare hang out with boys for fear of being KILLED by my parents!) or explaining the drama of her best friends and their boyfriends. (I totally thought they were cool like the Babysitters club or something.) I still have some letters...

So enter college life. I moved here and really got to know her and her family. Love them. Jenn and I didn't hang out that first year much but then we moved in together and realized we shared the same brain and were soul mates so there you go. We both went through some crazy weirdness during those years. I call it my "dark days" of dating when I refer to that period. We even lived in a bat infested apartment at one point so just let your imagination run wild with that. I guess that sort of taught us we could be exactly ourselves and neither of us minded. Did you know we talk to each other about 20 times a day? Not exaggerating either. Thank goodness for cell phones.

Here are some things I've learned about Jenn:
She is so smart (doesn't that mean I am if we share the same brain? but she got more of the memory and logic section.)
She is a perfectionist.
She does not like big buildings and industrial type things...scary (picture costco)
She can seriously break it down (cue music, enter Jenn hip thrusting in rhythm to "til the break of dawn!")
She is witty and fun.
She is a scaredy cat.
She thinks someone lives in her basement and that teenagers are in her garage stealing her soda.
She is a thoughtful and giving wife.
She loves her children and knows how to meet their particular needs--a great mother.
She has to hold her face about 1/2 inch from the cereal bowl as she is pouring milk to tell where the milk level is when she hasn't yet put on her glasses or contacts.
She always wears her contacts.
She is awesome at journaling and saying her prayers.
She is the perfect person to watch a DVR marathon with while eating the delicious brownie sundae she made for you.
She is a good listener. Sometimes she has to say, "Wait. I wasn't listening. What did you say?" and always listens good the second time.
She's just the best.

Sadly I have no pictures of her to share. I have a million pictures of her kids but we took pictures of ourselves back in the olden days of 35mm and my scanner won't work. Some other time perhaps.

I love you Jenn!!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

haha! i didn't know you posted this here too. you love me!